Monday, 31st August 2015

Town end campaign with point

Town 2 Highgate United 2

A dramatic late comeback saw Town finish their Midland Alliance League campaign on a high note as they grabbed a draw at the death.

In a game which typified much of their season, Bridgnorth conceded two sloppy goals despite playing the more attractive football, but they refused to lie down and showed fighting spirit to seal the draw.

Manager Lee Mills said he thought Highgate were there for the taking but praised his players who clawed two goals back to finish in 15th place, on 48 points.

“We played some good football for 80 minutes but the goals we scored were more hit and hopes into the box – it really can be a funny game,” he said. “Looking back over the season I feel we have been made to work really hard for our goals – other teams just don’t tend to give them away – but we have been very sloppy defensively at times, with lapses in concentration.

“We held our presentation evening straight after the game and I told the players we had been very naive at times, but they’d also played some fantastic football.

“Overall I’ve got nothing but praise for the lads and we’ll be pushing off from a sound base next season – it’s been an outstanding campaign, considering we were relegation candidates before we’d even kicked a ball.

“I’ll be continuing the policy of picking young players and I hope others follow in the footsteps of Robbie Millington, who got a move to Newtown in the Welsh League – my aim is to move players up, so they can earn a few bob out of the game.”

Highgate took the lead five minutes before half time when a bustling run into the box saw the ball laid off to an unmarked player, who tapped the ball in from five yards.

Town found themselves two down 10 minutes into the second half when a corner was headed into his own net by Pip Hurdley. The home side’s reply didn’t begin until the 88th minute when the ‘keeper fumbled the ball under pressure from Anwar Olugbon, who turned and scored.

With two minutes added time played a long throw into the box was controlled by Luke Chapman and played into the path of 16-year-old Jamie King, who struck home the equaliser.